Saturday, January 17, 2009

Cold Weather Runnning and More Trainng

Thing #1 I learned today: WATER BOTTLES ON A FUEL BELT WILL FREEZE WHILE YOU RUN WHEN ITS BELOW FREEZING.

Thing #2 I learned today: I can run in subfreezing temperatures. A little boost to the mental toughness. After all training for my spring marathons (yes plural) is what I am calling my "Season of Building Mental Toughness".

I was planning on blowing off this morning's group run and running when it was warmer this afternoon. My 'runner's instinct' had other ideas. I was up at 5am scheming on what I would have to do to get comfortable with running @ 16 degrees F. I said to myself I if I could run to Wally World and get a ski mask then I'd run early. Hopped in the car ran to 2 Wally Worlds and no dice. After that I figured that if I used 2 scarfs and 2 hats I could do it. So I was out the door at 7:15am off to run with the group.

I was very glad I did. I did not feel the greatest but I knocked out 16.5 hilly miles in 3:10. Pace was little slower than I wanted but I went out fast and did couple of pretty good uphill fartleks. Going to try to control myself next week and see if have some steam left at the end.

Post run I went for a 500 yd 'recovery' swim and then did the weight machine circuit I started doing about 2 weeks ago. Takes about an hour. That means I only swim tomorrow - no weights or running 'til Monday.

Today was just another good day to be alive.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Harry! Yes, it was a cold one yesterday morning.

    ReplyDelete