Thursday, January 15, 2009

Want to lose 30lbs in 3 months easy?

Then go somewhere else. But I will tell you how I did it.

First start out fat. That part is easy. Early 2008 my BMI was almost 31 qualifying for the obese category.

I started running outside again in February 2008 and trained for my 1st race a 5k. In April 2008 I joined a group that trains people for marathons (triathalons, 10ks, half marathons as well). This group trains regular old people as well as people who already consider themselves athletes. I was part of the former and now part of the later. Between Mid April to October I lost a grand total of 5 lbs. Got that BMI down to 30.2. Wahoo!

Mid November I decided that I would break from the insanity of doing the same thing and expecting different results. So I saw a dietitian/sports nutritionist and radically changed my eating habits for the better. The 1st 2 weeks were a challenge but the results were nearly instant for me. 10lbs in 2 weeks. Now I am in the swing of things I can't see going back to my old ways but I do miss the junk food. ;-) I had a chocolate chip cookie - the real deal mind you not some cardboardy tasting diet version - yesterday to celebrate the 30 lbs mark. 1st cookie since Christmas day.

Another thing I did was choose to be more diligent about my training. I was getting in 3-4 runs a week and the occasional cross-train session. Now 5-6 days a week doing something. Running, swimming, lifting weight, the occasional elliptical session. Just added the weights about 3 weeks ago. Today, for example, was weights in the AM with plans for run tonight.

This swimming is helping a lot. I started going to the Weds night swims with the triathlon group. The swim coach helped me with make great strides with my stroke. Is that mixing sports or metaphors? Swimming 2-3 days a week.

So here I am Mid January 2009, 30 lbs lighter than mid-November 2008. At a weight I have not been at for 12-15 years. My BMI is 25.7 which still puts me in the overweight category but on the bottom end of the range.

Was it easy. No. But it could have been harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment