Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Albany, Ga Marathon Post #2

Racing backwards thread:

Got home at 10:30pm with start of daylight savings time (spring forward) just a few hours away. Kids had a horrible trip home. 3 of them were so exhausted and out of sorts that they were getting sick in the car or in the parking lot or in the Burger King where we stopped at 7:30pm. I am so over fast food. I guess I am growing up. Give me a microwave, some fresh or frozen veggies and some protein and I am good.

Today's thread:

Got my post race massage. Feel almost human again. Need to figure out what kills my hip flexors and quads during a marathon. My massage guy says that a flat race like Albany makes you do all the work and I have been training on hills with the thought of running the ING GA full 3 weeks after doing the Albany, Ga full. Felt the same thing after my 1st marathon - Marine Corps. Once you get out of G-town it is basically a flat course. At least that's what I remember.

Start of serious training thread:

My idea of becoming serious about training for a marathon came about 3 weeks before running my 1st marathon - the 2008 Marine Corps marathon. I was hurt. Tendinitis at the base of my shin on my left foot. The pain started on a mid-week training run I lucked into get to make in Central Park (NYC) in the 2nd or 3rd week of September 2008. I took the pain with me into my next long run - a 21 miler. It hurt every step. In the remaining 5 weeks before MCM I ran a grand total of 6 time to the tune of a total of 21 miles. Swam a bunch. At least I called what I was doing swimming. More about that in future posts. At this point I decided if I was going to keep doing this I going to have to get serious about training, lose some weight, and do what I needed to gain some flexibility.

Tomorrow's post:

- Backwards thread: Cover post race decisions.
- Today's thread: May have decided what I am doing about ING GA
- Start of serious training thread: Cover results of 2008 Marine Corps Marathon. Start to cover changes in nutrition.

No comments:

Post a Comment