Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Albany, GA Marathon Post #3

Race Report in Rewind - WALK IT OFF (it was only 26.2):

Post race I am trying to walk for a mile like Jeff Galloway suggests. I took my post race nutrition and a bottle of water and started walking around the riverfront park in Albany. My hands are too full and I wish I had a runners bag or something to carry all my food. What did I eat? A bagel, a banana, 2 Snicker Marathon Energy Bars, 2 snack packs of Combos. Trying to get my 90-120g of carbs. No problem. Maybe it should have been 4 bananas, the bagel, 1 bar and no Combos? I'll try that next time.

Today's Musings - Trying to get back to running:

I tried to run last night but it was not happening. I lifted weights before I ran so maybe that was bad choice. I looked back at my training log from November and it turns out I took 2 full weeks off after the Marine Corps Marathon. Still ran a respectable ATL half on Turkey Day.

I hit my legs with The Stick this morning and felt better. My hips are a little tight. I am swimming with the Get Fit Atlanta tonight. I say "I am not sure if I'll do the 2000yds that they are doing for St. Georges..." but I know I will! Targeting Saturday or Monday as 1st post race run. Old men need their rest you know.

Post 1st Marathon - Race Report and Start of Fixing the Diet:

I ran the 2008 Marine Corps Marathon on October 26, 2008. I ran continuously for the first 20.5 miles. I was very happy to Beat the (&*%#@) Bridge. I walked most of the last 5.5 miles. I started running again as you go up the hill before the right turn to the Finish. Nice Hollywood finish. Actually passed people in the last 25 feet. The long and short was I completed my first marathon in 6 hours, 6 minutes, and 27 seconds. It hurt and I knew I could do better so I started make some changes.

What did I change? Not everything but pretty darn close to everything. Changed my diet, stretched more, ran a little more, swam a lot more. Did not change my clothes. I wore the same sleeveless tank and BPRC visior for my big races - MCM, ATL half, Southern California half, and Albany full. Happy to report I am going to be replacing the sleeveless because it is an XL and its TOO BIG!!

Back to the nutrition. I train with Get-Fit Atlanta. One of the partners is a nutritionist. Ilana Katz - link in the sidebar. I decide a couple of weeks before MCM to go see her but I waited until after the race because one of the Rules of Marathon Training is not to change anything in the last 3 weeks of training. Tomorrow I'll cover a little bit about the start up of the Nutrition Plan.

Tomorrow's post:

- Race Report Rewind: Crossing the line and more about Recovery Nutrition.
- Todays Musings: Update on how I feel, Report on Weds night swim.
- Post 1st Marathon: Start of changing my eating habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment