Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Albany GA Marathon 2009 - Post #4


Race Report in Rewind - Crossing the FINISH Line:

Last little bit of the race goes like this: Get on the sidewalk of part of downtown, through a tunnel and to the right going down a ramp built on top of two steps down, shoot down to the last turn, a slight right hander and less than .1 to the finish. My son (a 9 year who is wearing his medal from completing the Albany half - PR improvemet of +25 minutes) and my brother-in-law (who is also wearing his medal from completing the Albany half - in 1:55 after not running more than a 10k race in more than 10 years) at the last turn taking pictures. Make the last turn and there is the clock. It reads 4:26 something. I knew my chip time was a little bit less. Per Pacer Jim who led the 4:30 pace group I started with said we were supposed to subtract 2 minutes from any clock time I saw. In reality the delta was :57 Anyway I see clock and know FOR SURE that I am going to beat my Plan A goal. I am freaking pumped!! My last .25 mile was done at a 9:21 pace! I did not even hear them announce my name.

There are a few of the Get Fitters and my family on side lines. My arms are in the air, I am whooping up a storm as I cross the line. It's 80 degrees and they are handing me a mylar blanket. I take it because I might need it at the start of my next race. Then they put the medal around my neck. Hug from wife (who is wearing her medal from completing the Albany half - PR improvement of +25 minutes - do you see a pattern here?). Pose for a picture take by a Get Fitter then its off to the hospitality tent for some grub. I crossed at 4:27:19 clock time. There was still plenty of food in the hospitality tent at 6:20ish when the last 2 from our group crossed. I know 'cause I went back a coupel of times for more fuel. I know that I hydrated well because I can eat the bagel.

Today's Musings - WNS:

Hit the pool Wednesday night. Did 2200yds and it felt good. Stayed away from the kick drills. Looking forward to the swim clinic on Sunday. Putting off running until Thursday.

Post 1st Marathon - Race Report and Start of Fixing the Diet:

So what do you do to lose 40 lbs in 4 and 1/2 months. Here's what I did. My wife and I visited Ilana Katz . As Ilana said to me she gave me the tools and I did the work. Her plans are tailored to the individual and while the plan is change from what most people eat these days (ie - pretty much eliminates fast food) it is not that complicated. 6 meals a day with a carb and protien and what ever lean fiberous veggies I want. I have become a master at microwaving veggies both fresh and frozen. So what if the portions of the protien and carb are smaller than what I used to eat. I get eat again a few hours. Its really simple - if you can count to 1 (1 carb and 1 protien) you can do it. Now can you take what I just wrote and have the same success? Don't know but I also have few rules that address my particular needs and goals that I won't bore you with because they might not apply to you.

Tomorrow's post:

- Race Report Rewind: A 10k to go and the clock says...
- Todays Musings: How do I feel? Ready to run yet?
- Post 1st Marathon: More changing my eating habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment