Saturday, March 14, 2009

Silver Comet 10k Race (Volunteer) Report #1

Missed yesterdays Blog post about Albany, GA for a good cause. I helped load the race support truck for the Silver Comet 10k. Loading the truck was breeze. We got done so early I had time for my 1st post race run. Nice 5k on the Silver Comet in a little under 30m. Technically it was 3.22 miles in 30:01 so I am guess it my 5k time was 28ish.

About the race. Up at 4am. Snickers Marathon Energy Bar for b-fast. I have a couple more left over from Albany. Pack myself 3 meals in case I am working until noon. Okay so 3 meals is 2 yogurts, 3 apples, some carrots and some celery. A little be less in terms of volume since I need to be portable but calorie content not significantly impacted. Turns out I only needed 2 meals worth.

Out the door at 4:30am to be at the race directors house at 4:30AM. I arrived there at 4:34AM. The guy I was working says I need a hat so I run home for a hat and meet at start to unload T-shirts, goodie bags, etc. and take on equipment for water stops. Off to put out water stops. They tell me the Silver Comet 10k is much easier to work the truck for the this race than the SIlver Comet Half Marathon. The Half has twice the water stops and a few other features that create a need for more volunteers.

1st water stop is at Hicks and the Silver Comet Trail. Closer to my house than the Start line. Starting to figure out it is COLD. Tables, trashcans, cups out and it's time to head to the second water stop at Fontaine and the Silver Comet Trail. This one is little tougher logisistically but again we throw some tables, cups, trashcans, rakes (for the cups) and we're done. Back to the start to get ready for Gear Check since the race is not a loop or an out and back.

More to tell but I got eat again.

1 comment:

  1. Volunteering is a great way to get a new perspective on a racing. I helped timed a race once. It makes you appreciate all the people that make the race possible. Very Cool!

    ReplyDelete