Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy Trails to You

The group ventured back to familar ground for this weeks long run. Familiar ground was a common theme for me during the run.

Started the AM in a downpour. Actually when I drove up it was misting. In the few minutes it took for the scheduled start to get there the skys opened up. The rain is just another part of the "Season of Mental Thoughness". Last week temps in the teens and this week a start in the rain. No big deal.

My plan for the day was to run 20 miles. The training schedule called for 18 but I want to see 20 miles 3 times before March 7th to encourage myself in my quest to do both Albany, GA on March 7th and ING GA on March 29th as full marathons. No doubts I can do. Just using the extras shots at 20 to build my confidence.

Plan was to get 5 in before the group got there. Had a couple of folks looking to get in 3 ahead of the group. Sometimes you have to sacrifice your goals for the group. So I got 3.4 in and some company in before the group run.

The early run was through the Irish neighborhood as it is called. A hilly course compared to running of the Silver Comet Trail. The run with the group started by going through the Irish neighborhood and I got in the 2 extra miles that the group was not doing by going once again through the Irish Neighborhood. It was all good.

After the group run through the IN we stopped back at the cars to get fuel belts, drop reflective vests, etc. I stopped to take on a Gel and the group left me. But I caught them pretty quickly.

I looked down at 10 miles and realized that I was letting the back of the pack of the Ability Group I was running with pace me. In other words I lollygagged for the first 10 miles. I dropped the hammer and paced with the front of the group until is was time break off for the extra miles.

Nutrition was good, water stops were minimal, no potty breaks.

Result: 20 miles in 3:36. On track for a sub 5 hour marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment